Thursday, March 15, 2012

Family Tree Circles

I am more amazed when searching my family history to find information to break through the brick walls. I am even more amazed when I find stories to go along with the information. We all have stories about our families. But have we ever thought of writing them down? How many of you do that? What a great thing to pass down to your children and their children and future generations.
I came across a website called Family Tree Circles. This is not your typical family tree website where you download your GEDCOM file or fill in your tree by hand. It's basically a genealogy journal that you can keep. Of stories. Things you are working on. You share these with others. You can also submit questions too that other genealogist can help you with or even fill in the blanks. Not only can you put a list of surnames you are working on but also pictures. And share with family. I am still just starting with it and so far I really like it. I don't think there is a limit to how many journal entries you can make so you could share an amazing amount of information.
Just remember like with most genealogy sites only include information on deceased relatives. If you are going to mention someone living than be discreet. I find that uploading your tree file to some websites they may not add relatives as living and you will find all of their information right out there in the open. Not a good thing. Some people also like to keep their family tree information to themselves. I don't understand this as you may be helping someone else or they might be able to help you. I have found information by sharing and asking questions. Whether it's with relatives or people you don't even know. Most of the genealogy groups are very helpful. They have this special need to help one another. Looking up information even if it doesn't pertain to their family. I love this. So don't feel your brick wall is unbreakable. You just need someone to help you break through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment